Monday, December 9, 2013

First week in Big Spring, Texas - home of the air force base that Elder Uchtdorf learned how to fly.....


Hey hey que pasa
So I am so sorry that I couldn't make contact with you guys, once we got to the mission home they said that we weren't allowed to email home...so I have had to wait until today. I guess I can start with President Augustin. Hahahaha what an interesting fellow. He is definitely nothing like I really expected, he's rather intense. But I think I like him.  He reminds me of Regis Philbin but Mission President edition if that makes sense. So that night we found out where our first area was. I was assigned and currently residing in Big Spring, Texas. Big Spring. What a place. Turns out there used to be an air force base here, and President Uchtdorf learned how to fly here! Kinda cool. Its relatively small, a population of about 20,000. Most families here are extremely poor, its really kind of a culture shock going from our neighborhood to the houses down here. My companion is Elder Checketts from Layton. He is 18 as well, so i think we probably are the youngest companionship in the history of the church...haha he has been out for almost 4 months. He is 6 foot 7, so thats awesome. The people here in Big Spring....well I think just about all of them smoke and drink, and I think all of them have some sort of tatoo. Haha there is no office work here, its strictly oil and Wal-mart,   They are defintely a different kind of people than I am used to, but for the most part they are very humble, and seem to have a good knowledge of God. I walked into a baptism, meaning Elder Checkett's and his companion set up a baptism for two little girls, Maria and Crystal, for this Saturday, so I get to take part in that. Teaching here is very hard. While the people here mostly love God, they really dont want to change in their ways. They are usually courteous, and most times we get to make an appointment, but when we show up they usually check the peep hole and dont answer. It can be pretty frustrating! We are currently teaching a few people...one of them, William, is a tall old black vietnam vet. He has a firm belief in the bible, and we thought we were finally making progress with him until he asked us about Mars...he believes that we all used to live on Mars before this life, and that when Noah was on the ark, that was the time when the human race travelled somehow to planet Earth...we have a lot of work to do. The ward is pretty small, about 70-80 members showed up. I had to speak of course. Afterwards when I got to meet them, they all seemed very nice. They aren't the best at being member missionaries, and our ward mission leader isn't the most diligent, but its okay. The work here is progressing, and I know that we can do it! Unfortunately, the rule is only 1 hour on the computer again, and my comp is pretty strict about his obedience, which is good, so I will send you a letter with more detail! My address is
1429 E. 6th St. Apt. #34
Big Spring, TX 79720
P.s. I really love the Christmas countdown, i look forward to opening up a new one everyday. Tell everybody that you got a picture from how much it really means to me and helps me out! The tie is PERFECT. I love you mom, I will talk to you later

No comments:

Post a Comment