Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Week 2 in Big Spring.....

Dear Mom,
Things are going pretty well here. I got to baptize and confirm one of the Ramirez girls, which was really cool. Even though I never really got to teach them and watch their progression, it was still very very cool to be able to take part in it. Honestly, I hardly ever use my Spanish here, which kind of stinks. We teach all here in Big Spring, well mostly white, mexican and black and they all speak English. Its pretty evenly spread out actually. We still study Spanish every morning though, so we are just waiting for the right person to come along!!
Haha Mom it gets so real out here.  The Law of Chastity is big out here..... oh man. We deal with it all.  I would share some of the experiences....but its probably better if I didnt. Its a very serious matter of course but its just crazy what some peoples ideas are. Haha definitely working on becoming more mature so I can talk about that stuff comfortably. Thank you so much for everything, I am totally living comfortably. I will continue to write the fam a letter each week. I just need to tell you how awesome you are for making that Christmas Countdown, it really is great and makes it easier to get up in the morning :).  Tell everyone thanks!!  Big Spring isn't terribly big, so I'm really starting to get the small town feel.  Me and my companion are working pretty hard.  We are teaching some people now and have a couple who have committed to a date in January, but they have a lot to work through before they can be fully ready.  So we have a lot of work to do.  Still think its cool that President Uchtdorf learned how to fly here, right??  If only he was here to help us out...haha!  Its very weird not seeing any mountains here.  Big Spring is actually built on a hill, but still is rather flat.  The skies are just enormous....you can see forever!  And the sunsets are breathtaking!  Mom, I know that you may worry about me a lot but I am doing just fine.  The work is very hard, and I do get homesick from time to time, but that's how it should be.  I miss you so much, and now I realize more than ever how much you do for me.  Thank you for never backing down in your beliefs, I did have to lean on your testimony for quite a while, but now because of you, I have one of my own.  Do you think you could send me that one picture of Joseph Smith and his son (Liz Lemon)?  Random request but thank you!   I Love you so much Mom.

Love,
Your only, best, favorite son, 
Elder Backus (Cody)


Dear Dad,
So I am here in Big Spring and like I said in my email its vey different but the other day I found out that Ryan Tannehill is actually from here, he played high school ball here, and now his little brother is the starting quarterback!  They all still live here, so I looked them up in the phone book and I'm dead set on knocking on their door this week, haha!  I will tell you how it goes.  The weather here is cold but I have such an awesome family that has provided me with everything I need.  I have really been noticing the living conditions here.  The people here work very very hard, but still get very small paychecks.  It really has opened my eyes even wider about the importance of education but also it makes me so grateful for you.  this summer I got to see how hard you work and I have used your example so much out here, it has made me so grateful for you.  I know that you don't receive the thanks you deserve, and I know the job situation has been a struggle, but know that I am finally realizing what it takes to be a man, and how hard you have to work at it, because of your example.  I can honestly say without a doubt I am where I am because of you.  I look up to you more than you'll ever know.  I hope you and the fan are enjoying the Christmas season!  Love you dad!!

Go Utes,
Cody

No comments:

Post a Comment