Thursday, September 18, 2014

Happy Birthday Elder Backus!!



Cody turns 19 today, the age which we had always expected him to leave on his mission, however, plans changed when the church lowered the age requirement for missionaries.  As a result, the month after Cody turned 18, he left for the MTC to begin his 2 year service.  Its pretty incredible for me to read his, as well as many other young missionaries letters, and learn about what they are able to do at such a young age.  Cody has shared with me how very young he feels some days, but has gained an understanding of the enabling power of the atonement as he is able to do things he never thought he was capable of.

This is my first birthday away from any of my children, so I woke up this morning with the desire to stay busy and do something that I know Cody would want me to do.  One of Cody's best friends, who is also serving a mission, has a little brother who was recently diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.  Just a couple days before that, his father was laid off and is currently unemployed.  A few of us who know the family are organizing a 5k fundraiser to help with the costs of medical treatment and daily expenses, so my friend Dayna and I, spent the day going from one business to another asking for donations to help make this event a success for their family.  We were overwhelmed with the generosity of everyone we talked to, and at the end of the day, knew that I had spent the day doing something worthwhile and something I know would make Cody happy.

We put together a birthday package for him and included a t-shirt for p-day that I loved.......


I also made a 6 ft birthday banner and included tape (haha!) to put on his apartment wall....we'll see if he actually does that.............


I took a silver pen and wrote down all of my favorite missionary scriptures in the background.










No comments:

Post a Comment