Friday, July 25, 2014

A letter from Elder Backus.............

Dearest Mother,

Julie B.  Well first, I need to apologize for not getting a letter to you sooner.  This calling (zone leader) has really zapped my energy, especially this transfer.  My P-days have really become days to catch-up, but today was a pretty good day so I have some good time to write you :).

This morning I read a talk that Elder Holland gave at a BYU devotional a few years ago.  Its titled, "Remember Lot's Wife".  It describes what Lot's wife really did when she "looked back".  Elder Holland goes on to describe that living in the past, longing for good times since gone, is the opposite of true faith, and may ultimately, at least figuratively, turn us into a pillar of salt.  Faith is always pointed forward and anxiously awaits future blessings that come from true discipleship.  The talk hit me like a ton of bricks!  I was so blessed to have such an awesome time in high school, and it can be really easy to slip into "looking back" and wishing to re-live things that I really can't.  But, reading that talk really helped me realize that I can look forward to the things that hopefully lie in store for me.  1 Corinthians 13:11 has been a little hard for me to accept lately :)!

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
So how is everything going on back home?  I know you are trying not to give me too many details because you don't want to "trunk" me out, but I really appreciate hearing about you guys.  Sounds like Christine is hanging out with the Smiths a lot huh?  I sure hope she is being nice to them, they are good girls, and those 7th-9th grade years can be ROUGH.  But hey, you are a seasoned veteran by now so I know you will do fine :).  I'm still trying to tactfully tell Cassidy to wear longer shorts.....you aren't letting her wear those yoga pants either right :)?  (I included this so that one day Cody and Cass can laugh about this together :)).

Well mom, to be honest, I feel kind of in an awkward stage right now.  I feel kind of caught somewhere in between a boy and man.  It doesn't necessarily feel like I am growing from grace to grace, it feels like more fall to fall, but I think its all about the movement upward.  Thank you for allowing me to have this experience, I truly am grateful for it.  I love and miss you like crazy!!  Don't have too much fun on the 24th without me :(.

Love,

Tu Hijo con Amor

No comments:

Post a Comment